Friday, February 04, 2011

Ten Commandments for Elders

The Ten Commandments and the Golden Rule remain guiding principles for life, with different applications as we move into the Eldering time of life. Ageing and illness do not give anyone license to inappropriate self-centeredness.

The current issues related to health care are not solely the interests of government, insurance companies, and medical personnel. Let us remember as individuals we each have a duty to be an ethical consumer to the end of life.

1. Honor God in all that I do. There is only one God, everywhere and within me. I shall not resist where I must go, and not blame. God’s purpose is the center, not my self. I honor God by being fully exactly who I am, who He made, expressing my being through my own gifts and talents.

2. Honor the Lord’s Day. I will rest, pray, seek the community of believers and stay connected to their worship, study, service and community life.

3. Honor God’s Name. I will be an example to others of my belief, my confidence. I will be joyful in each day’s gifts, speak well of creation, and express confidence in the future. And I will bring from the past only that which is positive.

4. Respect others, both elders and descendants. I will honor their worth, their commitments, their circumstances and knowledge. I will neither judge nor denigrate anyone, past, present or future. I will remember special days, sharing both sorrows and joys. I intend to forgive everyone everything, and hope others will forgive me, as I forgive myself for my past failings.

5. Do not kill wantonly. Words are weapons, thoughts brought out of me that can injure, main, or kill the spirit in others. I will support and encourage others. I will listen compassionately and give counsel if asked.

6. Be self-controlled in using the body. Adultery and fornication are forms of using others for my own selfish purposes, without regard to their needs, or to the consequences, when I am concerned about my own physical survival. I will both give and seek affection. I will be confident of my survival in spirit. I will take care of my body by being clean, eating well, resting, and seeking help when I truly need it. I also accept my mortality and eventual death. I will sign a health care directive and free others from the burden of deciding about my end of life care.

7. Be a true witness. I will be truthful to myself and to others, and not fabricate or exaggerate to enhance myself or increase sympathy. I will face the truths of my own past and learn from them. I will entertain others with my stories of life and faith and witness to God’s work in my life. I will share my legacy in some way.

8. Do not steal. I will not rob others of their time or energy in self-serving ways. I will not deplete the resources of the earth in futile attempts to extend my life. I will give my free time and talents back to the community, however I can, if only in prayers and votes of confidence, as a part of my debt to society.

9. Do not covet personal relationships that belong to others. I will do nothing that destroys the love between my children, between them and their spouses or their children or their friends. I will strive to be on good terms with them, show interest (but not control) in the activities of others. I will be open to making new friends among the living, though I miss those who have passed away before me.

10. Do not covet possessions. I will not hoard things or money, but will share while I can. I will dispose of stuff happily and willingly, and keep my affairs in order. I will make a will and sign a power of attorney with someone I can trust, mindful of the impact of my actions even after my death.

---------------------------------------------------Comments & Questions? Email: womenbefriends@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home