Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Graffitti on My Life Wall

I joined Facebook and was invited to write on my “wall”, anything at all! Apparently everyone I tag can see what I write, and then comment if they choose. It’s rather like standing around in a room full of people, all talking at the same time. Occasionally you hear (read) some interesting thought, but not often enough! I wrote my favorite quotes on my “wall”.

On MY wall I wanted to write something worthy of being there. These sayings have a way of affecting one’s life deeply. I think they are all true and worthy wisdom.

My father said: “Act, don’t react.”
My mother said: “It’s your job to go to school, and mine to take care of this home.”
A high school teacher said: “You could do anything. You could be an artist.”
Jane Eyre and her inventor were people who lived out steady values, regardless of the consequences.
Fr. Mackin said: “Chaos is brought into order with one fixed point of reference.”
Joseph Campbell said: “You are the hero of your own life. Follow your bliss.” He also said to promote your own spirituality, “travel and learn to meditate.”
Thomas Merton said: “Find a good place and go there often.”
Jesus said, “Love God, love others as yourself, and you will fulfil all the laws.”
Buddha said, “The necessary skills of life are to wait, to fast, and to pray.” In other words, meditate.
My grandmother Ruth said, “Keep your women friends. You will always need them.”
My husband said, “The Catholic church never really changes.”
Reiki Principles say: “Just for today, do not anger. Do not worry. Earn an honest living. Honor your teachers and elders. Show appreciation to all living things.”

I have often felt like an “observer” in life, so it was a comfort to know that my personality profile if XNTJ (Meiers/Briggs) or #5 The Observer (Enneagram), has significant value and makes a contribution to the whole, for which alone time is very necessary. It’s no wonder now that I am a writer, rather than an actor! I no longer apologize for wanting to be alone for a while every day.

These pieces of wisdom have served me well, and deserve to be on my “wall”. Of course there were a few bad things said to me to, which really weren’t true, but I believed them for a while, and they had a negative effect. They were all wrong. I was called “graceless” and told not to cry. I was made to think I should stay in my “place” as a women, by both women and men including my mother. The medical community told me I had fibromyalgia and it was incurable. The hierarchical Catholic church ignores me now, which is how they deal with any issue or fact that doesn’t fit their agenda.

Only one piece of life rules have I gotten that turned out not to work well. Fr. Mackin said, “Choose your friends. Do not let them choose you.” That caused me to project an attitude of judgmentalism that got in the way of many potential relationships, which then could not happen. I have no friends really from before age 32 for that reason. Therefore: “You will choose some friends, and others will choose you. Each has a part in your life.”


---------------------------------------------------Comments & Questions? Email: womenbefriends@yahoo.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Rose L said...

I never thought much about quotes when I was young. It happens sometime after we age.
My father raised us girls to be seen and not heard, and took years to get away from that!

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home