Monday, June 07, 2010

Author Anne Tyler

I read these three books in the past week, a week of rainy days when I couldn’t do yard work even if I really wanted to. The fourth I read some time ago and honestly do not remember it right now.

Anne Tyler’s stories all revolve around ordinary people leading very ordinary lives, seen from multiple viewpoints, and through several generations. They are endearing people, living in or around Baltimore. They sometimes act compulsively and a slightly out of character (leaving home on a whim, being kidnapped and enjoying it, feeling guilty for years over some unkind words that seemed to cause a disaster). The story flows from that action, with some flashbacks to clarify the characters’ motives or behavior. The author does not fall back on gratuitous sex, foul language, or crime sprees to spice it up as publishers like.

In the end, each main character comes to see his/her own life as valuable. I like that very much, since most of the folks of the world are “dispensable”, missed for a while but not for long when we pass away. I like the author’s way of seeing individuals as important in their circumstances.

Ladder of Years (1995), main character Delia Grinstead walks away from her unappreciative family and tries out another life.
Saint Maybe (1991), main character Ian Bedloe believes he has caused his brother to commit suicide and dedicates his life to “atonement.”
Earthly Possessions (1997) the main character Charlotte Emory discovers her own great strength of character in the face of life’s ordinary difficulties.

In a 2005 interview she says she gets her characters and stories from right where she is, near Baltimore. From the library I have Dinner a the Homesick Restaurant (1982) which Tyler says is her favorite, and The Accidental Tourist (1985) which I am sure I read before. I am going to get her latest novel (2010) and see where Anne Tyler is now, as she nears age 70 herself.

---------------------------------------------------Comments & Questions? Email: womenbefriends@yahoo.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda Cassidy Lewis said...

Anne Tyler is my favorite author. I've read, and own copies of, all the books she's written, even the children's picture book.

I, too, love that she writes quiet stories about ordinary people, and they're amazing. If only I could learn to do that half as well.

I know she considers "Homesick" her best, but when I read it, I wasn't sure why. It's been a long time though, I should reread it.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home