Thursday, April 08, 2010

PhotoJournalism

The teacher in this class says you can’t be a writer and a photographer at the same time. My first response is that I don’t write and take photos at exactly the same time. But I am honouring his wisdom in this, and not writing much while I take this class. I am holding the focus on the photo making.

Each week we are to submit three different photographs with captions on an assigned topic. The captions must be no more than two sentences, with all the what, when, where, why, and who information, specific in every sense, including the date, eliminating all adjectives possible. That can be tricky. But there is even more to making a photograph tell a story.

Our first topic was “weather”, something everyone knows, or thinks they know. Until you try to take a photo that tells a story! I probably took a hundred, whittled it down to 15 to print, and those down to five that I shared with others, two of which garnered “weather” as the main idea, and I picked a third to meet the required number. The teacher will return them next week with his evaluations and suggestions. Our next topic is “animals.” In the final weeks we are to produce a photo story, for which I have several potential topics.

Some years ago I wanted a mode of expression (besides writing and speaking) that spoke for me. An artist friend gave me a copy of Artist Today that had a photograph and fifteen different ways to render that picture. I liked the photograph the best! I thought it capable of telling the “truth”. That was when I began really studying my camera, improving my skills within its potential, eventually upgrading my equipment. I have learned how to download, and email Costco for prints within the hour. Now I always have a small digital camera in my pocket, ready to go. This class extends my abilities and confirms my commitment to photography as another avenue to “truth”.
br>


---------------------------------------------------
Comments & Questions? Email: womenbefriends@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home