Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Jane Eyre and Me

My Dear Alice,

You are well aware of my history at Brocklehurst School, so you know how very happy I am to have this position at Fairfield Manor. My one pupil is a delight to me. My French comes in very handy here with her, but she is an apt student in English, growing more competent every day.
I met Mr. Rochester yesterday for the first time, under the most peculiar circumstances. I walked to Millcote to post a letter, another story, and on the return walk on a narrow path, just as the Manor came in view, a great dog followed by a black horse charged out of the fog. I stepped aside as far as I could, and the dog raced right by me. The horse startled and threw its rider. He was in quite a state of pique, so I won’t even tell you what he said. Then he saw me standing to the side, swore I had caused his accident, and now needed to help him, and where the deuce did I come from anyway? It turned out that he is the master of this place!
You are as dear to me as a sister, so please come and stay with me here for awhile. The housekeeper, Mrs. Fairfax, has approved, and you can share my room. You will not in any way impede our studies. On the contrary, this place needs a lively soul.
Your Sister of the Heart, Jane Eyre


Dear Jane,
Can you meet my coach at Millcote this coming Saturday, probably around noon? I wouldn’t know which way to walk once I am let down.
Excitedly, Alice

“I am so glad you have finally come!” Jane embraced me as soon as I was clear of the coach, and the man handed down my satchel. “Come this way. Let’s leave your valise for now, as John will stop for it later.” Jane took my arm into her own and turned me toward a wide path that led away from the coach house in the village. I let her be the guide as we walked steadily through the fields, Spring just showing in the buds on bare branches. The air was chilly, and we were happy to be close together anyway, our steps matching. Though I had to watch my feet carefully, I often glanced up to see where we were headed. No fog today. Shortly the turrets of a grand house appeared on the next hill.
“Tell me more of your life here now!” I exclaimed.
“Now that Mr. Rochester is home, the food has grown excellent, and varied. Fruits from the Indies even! Meat with every meal, and eggs each day for breakfast. The whole place is spruced up, with the housekeeper and others brought in specially, restoring order the minute it is disturbed.” Jane paused.
“So what’s this Mr. Rochester like?” I asked.
“He’s a bit gruesome, gruff, I guess. Mrs. Fairfax said that in spite of being rich, he’s had a hard time in life. I don’t know about that. To me he is always proper, I guess I would put it. He has ordered me to appear at dinner and remain after every night, for conversation sake. He doesn’t seem fond of his ward, Adele, although he did bring her gifts from his travels.”
“Is he handsome?” I pressed her arm and smiled encouragingly.
“I don’t really know, having few men to compare him to, and Brocklehurst, of course, but they hardly count. You shall see for yourself tonight.”
We came to the servant’s entrance to the great hall, where we scraped mud from our shoes as best we could. Within I was afraid to speak aloud for fear of the echoes that would generate. I followed Jane, careful to hold my skirts in close and not brush anything, as I had collected mud along the hems. We practically tiptoed to the staircase, meaning to ascend to her room.
“Hold! Who is that?” boomed an authoritative male voice. We both turned on the stairs to see who this was speaking from below us.
“It’s I, Jane Eyre, and my friend Alice. She has just arrived to visit me. Mrs. Fairfax gave her approval.”
“Well, I did not approve, did I?” A rather thick set man of about forty stood firmly near the bottom of the stairs. He waited only briefly for Jane’s response. Then, “Welcome to you, Alice. Is there a surname?”
“Turner. Alice Turner. She’ll be sharing my room for a few days, Sir. We plan to take Adele for walks.”
“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Sir,” I threw in.
“ Alice is very knowledgeable about birds and botany,” Jane added.
“If you say so. I shall expect you both after dinner, then. We’re short on visitors these days, but that will be remedied soon enough.” With that unexplained thought, he turned and left the foyer for the library.

Jane and I looked at each other, giggled quietly, then stepped up quickly to the upper hallway and Jane’s room.
“Well,” she said, breathless. “What did you think of him?”
“He’s rather…old. Is there a wife?” I asked.
“There’s a secret around here about that. I have asked Mrs. Fairfax but she never quite answers my questions before she gets so busy she can’t. John never talks. Betsy would talk maybe, if I hung in the kitchen enough, but I don’t really have time for that.”
“Maybe they’ll tell me, if I am here long enough. Is two weeks too long?” I asked.
“That’s perfect! We’ll see everything burst into Spring flowers, and the birds carry on unbelievably already. Let me show you more of the house, and introduce you to Adele and Mrs. Fairfax.
That night, and all of those evenings, Jane and I ate in the nursery with Adele. During the days we rambled about the estate, or did lessons with Adele, in English or French. Mr. Rochester seemed to me to be lurking around all the time, trying to engage Jane in conversation, sending me away to see one thing or another with Adele, or to give a message to Mrs. Fairfax. Evening conversations were certainly directed mainly at Jane. To my way of thinking, he was too attentive to the governess. Jane was, after all, not just the governess, but young, attractive, and intelligent, but also perhaps swayed by her own illusions and needs. Our time together passed swiftly.
About the tenth day he asked me, rather abruptly, when would I be leaving? I was a bit flustered. Then he added that some friends of his were travelling to the north, who would be happy to give me a ride there, if I could be ready by Friday noon. Even Jane fell into that plan.
“Oh, yes, Alice. That would be so much more pleasant than the public coach,” she said.

She didn’t make any appeal to me to stay longer, so I guess that was long enough. I finally spoke up, just before I was to leave.
“Jane, I think I need to caution you. Mr. Rochester’s attentions don’t feel quite right to me.” I hesitated. I knew from our visiting that she really did think the world of him. I hoped this would open an honest conversation.
“You’ve been a good friend to me, Alice. You don’t need to worry so. I am quite sure he is a person of good character. What would you have me do? Give up this excellent position when everything is so pleasant? You wouldn’t counsel me to do that, would you?” She stepped back just a bit. I could feel the separation growing in thought and feeling as well as space.
“It might not be as it appears now. Be cautious, my dear. I wouldn’t want you in any danger, even just dangers to the heart!” I stepped closely, clasped her tightly, and turned to finish packing and latch up my satchel. We went down the stairs arm in arm, arriving at the porte cochere just as the coach arrived. Jane and I embraced for a long time. I loathed leaving her here, now. We promised to write often.
Mr. Rochester appeared out of the library then, to the door, waving to the driver. He spoke a cheerful greeting to the passengers. He opened the door wide for me to enter and gave a flourishing bow, so that I felt swept inside. He shut the half door with a smile for me.
“Alice Turner, this is Mr. and Mrs. Gardner, friends of mine. They will take good care of you.” Reaching over the door, he gave me a light handshake. “I wish you a pleasant trip.”
“Good bye, my dear!” Jane called from the doorway, as she waved. The last I saw of her, Mr. Rochester was standing just in front of her, on a lower step, arms crossed, like the possessor of all in sight, whom he was.

I did not hear from or see Jane for years. Fortunately all turned out well, but only after some difficult years. Perhaps life always comes with heartbreak, or one does not truly live.


br>


---------------------------------------------------
Comments & Questions? Email: womenbefriends@yahoo.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Rose L said...

I enjoy reading your site and have given you the Silver Lining Award. You can see it at my site:
http://poetrose24.blogspot.com/

Save it to your desktop and then add to your site and give to 5 others!! Keep writing!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home