Thursday, February 03, 2005

"Flakey" Daughter Speaks

Date: Feb. 2, 2005
From: CS

I will be going to India and Tibet next, possibly to Nepal and Thailand, supervising students. The interviewer for the job I have now commented that I seemed rather “flakey”. He wondered, since I moved about so much, what grounded me? There are two things that keep me steady, really, which I explained to him.

One is that I still meditate each morning for a few minutes. That puts me in touch with myself, with how my body feels and where I am emotionally, what I have to do that day and so on. Then I can take corrective action for the sake of my health or mental stance. I credit my Vipassana Meditation Retreat with helping me develop that personal skill, which I think is invaluable. It was very challenging at the time to meditate for ten days straight, but definitely worth learning. I feel “at home” wherever I am.

The other contributor to my interior stability is my family. They live a traditional life, and they’re right there, at “home”, whenever I need to stop for a while and recuperate. I always know that. I am very grateful for them, as individuals and as a group. In a very real way they make it more possible for me to pursue this spiritual journey that takes me all over the world.

Date: Feb. 3, 2005-02-02
From: MJS

Joseph Campbell was asked in The Power of Myth interviews what the human community could do that would take us towards peace and understanding.
“Everyone should travel,” he said. “I don’t know any other way.”

I think we should each learn to meditate, whether we travel or not.




---------------------------------------------------
Comments & Questions? Email: womenbefriends@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home