Monday, March 14, 2005

Scraps of Deep Thought

From: JB
We have all been around quite a lot - just that everyone has their little area of expertise that must stay important to them to enable its continuance - and somewhere, we all know these power people - at some point I admired them and respected their hard work to achieve it all - now, I just sort of think why do people do that to themselves and their families - in the grand scheme of things, does it all matter - I think not.

Yes, I too love God's creations and works of art best of all - the cathedrals of canyons and mountain meadows are the best of all. I really feel blessed to have seen the wonderful spiritual places we have visited - I still love to discover new roads into wilderness areas, new waterfalls at the end of a trail - enjoy the desert vistas in early evening - never tire of this land of ours. If I never see Europe and its cities, that would be okay - I'd really love to embrace Alaska with my eyes again. I'd also like to look east again from the wild and empty seacoast of Nova Scotia and the Cape Breton Highlands and spend time with people who live in thoses areas - it is all windswept clean and green and naked.

Next life I shall stay single and become a world trekker.

Some years ago, in the early l980's, (my early 40's) my husband invited me to attend weekly Kiwanis dinner meeting , as he did often, as the speaker was the Brig General giving annual report to community on economic impact on City - ie payroll dollars spent locally, contractor and their employees, etc. benefit to local businesses - always trying to keep good rapor with local govt's - well, good way to get out of fixing dinner.

I was quite favorably impressed with figures and numbers of various ranks passing through the Fort annually. Actually wasn't aware there were that many brigadier generals, four star or otherwise - impressive - and this was all pre Gulf War days.
After the meeting, sitting around just chatting and having another cup of coffee - could do that still then, watch the late news, catch a little Johnny Carson and still sleep well and make it to work early - anyway, men chatting, women chatting, family issues, school children etc. General’s wife mentions problems that tend to present themselves at jr. hi level - WOW!!! Generals kids are same age as mine. DUHH!! I always thought Generals were OLDER Soldiers, Older Folks - these people are same age as ME!

General and family move on, as is usual in a few years. From here they most often move to Germany after getting another star. Not too many years later I see the face on NBC nightly news reporting from Kosovo - General Wesley Clark, Supreme Allied Commander of NATO FORCES. Again, he’s in my age category. And of course, who also makes an unsuccessful run for President in 2004.

Then again yesterday out at the Marine Base for the Drum and Bugle Corps performance - now look at what has happened! The General is closer to my son’s age. Just what has been happening here - SUNRISE, SUNSET, SUNRISE, SUNSET, SWIFTLY GO THE YEARS, ONE SEASON FOLLOWING ANOTHER.........MINGLED WITH HAPPINESS AND TEARS. I DON'T REMEMBER GROWING OLDER......

From MJS
Exactly my point. We've been around just as long as
they have! They don't know more than we do about
life, just a different perspective, some other piece
of expertise. We are doing good with life, I think.
I appreciate all the hard work that middle aged people
have to do to keep up, and it helps them stay on task
when they think it is all totally necessary. I
thought my church work was a great contribution at the
time. But I like being on this side and knowing that
it isn't quite so necessary. Bums must discover this
early in life. Some little kids find it out in first
grade. Someone has to do the work, but just exactloy
who? Me? LOL

In the Gulf War one of my son’s friends was
sitting at sea with his finger on one of those warhead
buttons. We do know those people. We are very
connected. I knew three families involved in 9-11
crashes on the ground, and a relative of a friend in
the one that crashed way out in NY. I know the loser
in the last State governor's race (still the head of
the Rep. Party there) and some of the officials of
life, met the bishops and saw the Vatican and the
grand cathedrals... and I like the desert better than
all of them. Much closer to God, if you ask me.


There were three old folks who had had strokes who came in for breakfast at our restaurant and another slowly crossing the street in front of me. I hate those kind of omens. I like birds better.

From: RAM
Words are fun--part of my idea of "The Good Life!"

I have always felt if one has health (mental & physical) everything else will fall into place;
part two of that one would be healthy, happy and safe children and grandchildren. Loving and caring family and friends, books to read, ability to travel a bit and enjoy nature. My ideas and values are quite simple
I believe--the basics I suppose.






---------------------------------------------------
Comments & Questions? Email: womenbefriends@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home